Wednesday, June 26, 2013

does this toothbrush necklace make me look gay?


photo: jetheriot

Later today I'm going to drive three pieces of art over to Lawndale (an art space in Houston) and I'm going to enter them to be considered for the annual Big Show coming up in a few weeks.


My first entry will be: toothbrush necklace displayed on headless mannequin who goes by the name of Renee. The second will be a poem-in-the-shape-of-a-wasp-wing that usually hangs in the stairwell of our home. The third will be my Barbie leg keychain.

photo: jetheriot

I'm also eagerly awaiting the Supreme Court's ruling on same-sex marriage this morning. I have many many friends who could potentially be "federally" married by the end of the day, fully equal in the eyes of the law to their straight brothers and sisters. Wow. That would be incredible, a clear victory for love and equality in this country, and really, for humanity at large. Or the ruling could be a huge disappointment.


 photo: jetheriot

In any case, we're moving from a society of tolerance to a society that actually celebrates gay people, and values them for their contributions, instead of one that imprisons them or converts them or kills them, so that's progress.

Anyway, so here I am, readying my toothbrush necklace, re-wiring a more elegant closure mechanism. I've got CNN on, and I'm waiting for the ruling. And I realize, "This necklace is super gay." Then I think to myself, "Thank God for gay people."

Six more minutes until the ruling.