Monday, February 25, 2013

good fortune

photo: jetheriot


Wonton Food Corporation is about seven blocks away from where we live in Midtown. When I ride my bike to Montrose I go right past it. I don't know what else they make in that warehouse, but they sure do bake a lot of fortune cookies. The smell of egg and vanilla is always thick in the air around that block. Yesterday was so breezy I could smell fortune cookies as soon as I walked out our front gate, seven blocks away from where they were being baked. I took it as a good omen.

It wasn't the best smell I smelled yesterday. There's a tree near Rothko Chapel that blossoms for about two weeks each year. It may be a kind of crabapple. All I know is that its blossoms smell like a cross between my mama's roux and crayons, specifically Rose Art brand crayons. It's a sweet yet savory smell, and I feel it on an emotional plane. The fact that I probably won't get to smell it again until next year makes the smell that much sweeter.emotional plane. The fact that I probably won't get to smell it again until next year makes the smell that much sweeter.