Sunday, March 24, 2013

the joke's on you


This guy at the gay Starbucks was walking around saying, "A baby seal walks into a bar."

He was saying it like it was the first line of an old joke that everyone had heard. And then, his shoulders hunched, his arms open and expectant, he waited for people to nod and smile back in agreement. "Surely EVERYONE has heard of this old joke," the joke-telling eyes behind his frozen-open smile seemed to say. Nobody took his bait.

"You mean NOBODY'S heard of this joke," he said, finally, after telling the first line of the joke to five different people, all of whom ignored him. Then he walked up to me and looked me in the eyes.


He said, "YOU know this old joke, don't you?"


I said, "I have no idea what you're talking about."


I wondered if he was manic. He was holding what looked like a latte, so I figured he couldn't be too crazy. Maybe WE were the clueless ones. Maybe there is that famous joke.