Tuesday, September 27, 2011

silk clementines

photo: andrew bishop

About 8 months ago I started giving a talk that required clementines as props. Clementines were in season then, but I knew that if I wanted to be able to give the talk when clementines weren't in season I'd have to find artifical clementines. An internet search turned up exactly three silk clementines.

They were in England and couldn't be delivered to a US address, so I had them shipped to Andrew's Mum, knowing that we'd be in England again sooner or later and we could pick them up then. I told Andrew to tell his Mum to be expecting them, but he forgot, so when three silk clementines showed up at her home she thought I had sent her a box of artificial clementines. (She knows I am a little strange, so it didn't faze her too much.)

Since then, Andrew and I have come and gone to England a couple of times, always forgetting the clementines, which is somehow appropriate because the talk I use them for is a talk on memory. Andrew's in England now and I finally remembered to remind him to pack the clementines. Here they are, minus one I left for Dorothy, which seems only fair. Aren't they beautiful?