Wednesday, July 21, 2010

birdwatching

Photo: Wikimedia Commons/Mdf

I dreamed I was under the umbrella of a large ballooning oak. The air around me was motionless and humid and I walked in the shade of the branches like an animal in a giant terrarium. Acorns pressed their points into the cushions of my feet. Overhead, a giant grackle sent a raucous squawk hurling loudly through the bell of the tree. No, it was actually a tiny grackle riding shotgun on my shoulder, croaking right into my ear. As the tiny grackle flew away, its feathers gently morphed into the fur of a tiny gorilla, its wings became arms and its face became the face of a human. When I spotted the tiny human in the viewfinder of my binoculars, blinking his eyelids excitedly on the perch of a faraway branch, I realized the tiny person I was looking at was me.